Magnetic Variation File – 2020
NOAA produces these files every 5 years: 2005, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2025 , etc. This is the 2020 NOAA World Magnetic Model File, wmm.dat, with coefficients to correct Magnetic to True Compass Headings. This file is valid between Jan 1, 2020 through December 31, 2024 and will produce a warning message “Magnetic Variation is out of date” if your computer date is outside this range.
Click here to Download the 2020 ‘WmmUpdate.zip’ file.
Instructions: Copy & paste (or drag & drop) the ‘wmm.dat’ file into the folder C:\Capn Voyager and replace the outdated ‘wmm.dat’ file. This is a simple text file. If you open to view, do not ‘save’ this file. The first line of this file should say:
“ 2020.0 WMM-2020 12/10/2019”
Chart Loader Update
This is an updated chart loading software program used to install all the CAPN Chart Regions from the CAPN DVDs.
Problem: When I try to load the charts supplied with The CAPN the program gives me an error message: “Wrong DVD inserted into the selected DVD Drive! Please try again.”. I have the correct DVD region inserted but the program will not recognize it.
We strongly recommend you install this new chart loading software and use it to install all the CAPN chart regions.
- Download the file: CAPN_ChartLoaderSetup.exe
- Save this file to your desktop
- Double click on the icon to install this new chart loader application
- Follow the on screen instructions
- When installation is complete, click the “Finish” button
To use the new chart loader application:
- Click Start
- Click All Programs
- Click Capn Voyager
- Click Load CAPN DVD Chart Regions
- The Chart Loader application will begin
- Select the DVD(s) region(s) to be installed by checking the box to the right of the region
- Click the “Copy Selected DVDs to your Computer” button
- The title of the first DVD will display in the DVD description window; insert this DVD into the drive
- Under “Install Options for the DVD”, select data types by checking the box next to the option
- Click the “Install this DVD” button
- When all DVDs have been installed, click the “Close” button
- Click the “Close Installer” button to exit the installer
This windows application was developed to convert Latitude and Longitude values. As the websites and navigation software are developed, it became apparent that multiple formats are being used to represent degrees, minutes and seconds. The iCAPN software was developed to aid in conversions between these various formats:
- degrees (± ddd.dddddd)
- degrees & minutes (± ddd mm.mmmmmm)
- degrees, minutes & seconds (± ddd mm ss.ssss).
Multi-Threaded TeleTYpewriter (MTTTY) is a simple application for viewing received text messages from a Serial COM Port and thereby validate connectivity. This software will display serial text that is received via a serial COM Port such as NMEA0183 messages or AIS messages. Note that only one application can own a serial COM Port at a time.
Click here to Download the ‘MTTTY.zip’ file
Simple application for testing COM ports for GPS connectivity
Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft has elected not to include the “HyperTerminal” accessory. Unfortunately, this is a useful tool for diagnosing difficulties with GPS connections, etc., as it features the ability to “view” the information coming from the GPS into the computer, unencumbered by other applications.
We have provided an alternative, MTTTY which is attached to the bottom of this page.
To use MTTTY:
- Follow the How To Install instructions below, to download MTTTY to your Windows Desktop.
- In the upper right hand corner, the Port drop down list contains a list of the COM Ports (real or virtual) found on your PC. Select the Port that the GPS is connected to. (If you’re not sure, pick the first port listed, then repeat the test until the GPS is found.)
- Next to Port, Baud is listed. Most GPS units transmit at 4800 Baud, select unless you are using a different rate on your GPS.
- Leave all other settings at their default and choose Connect from the File menu.
At this point, one of three things can happen:
I get an error message.
This means that the COM port you have selected is not available or functioning properly. Repeat the process, trying a different COM port. If none of these reveal GPS input, then the problem lies in the physical serial port, the USB-to-Serial adapter cable (if used) the GPS receiver, or the connection between the two. If you are certain that you are selecting the proper COM port, contact your computer (or USB-to-Serial adapter) manufacturer for further troubleshooting tips.
I get a blank screen.
This indicates that the COM port you’ve chosen is not currently receiving NMEA data. Choose Disconnect from the File menu and repeat the process, trying a different COM port. (Repeat the above steps for other COMs, replacing COM1 with whatever COM ports are available on your PC.) If none of these reveal GPS input, then the problem lies in the physical serial port, the USB-to-Serial adapter cable (if used) the GPS receiver, or the connection between the two. If you are certain that you are selecting the proper COM port, contact your computer (or USB-to-Serial adapter) manufacturer for further troubleshooting tips.
I get a screen with text scrolling upward.
You’re successfully connected to your GPS unit! Good GPS data will resemble the following:
The data you see scrolling by indicates your current position (among other things). Note the COM port used and exit MTTTY. When asked if you want to disconnect now, click on Yes. When asked if you want to save session “Test”, click on No.
- When finished viewing the screen, select “Exit” from the File menu. When asked if you want to disconnect, click on Yes.
How To Install
Click the link below. In most instances, your web browser will ask if the file should be Opened, or Saved to your computer. Choose Save, then select a location to Save the downloaded file In. If you are unfamiliar with downloading software, we recommend choosing your “Desktop”; select Save In, Desktop and press Save. Once the download completes, double-click the MTTTY application that appears on your Desktop to start it.